Cooking with JUGA

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Arasarae, Aug 17, 2016.

1. FemalenoobAATR Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
    Oi! Where are the details for this? What if a JUGAman wanted to make their own Jerky?
    How much sugar? How much spice? What temp do we set for the oven, and for how long? Ect.
    Troutslap likes this.
  2. krack3r Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
    using jack's links as a price guide, trout just made $3,000 worth of jerky
    Troutslap likes this.
  3. Troutslap Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
    As it turns out jerkey is stupid easy to make, its just dried meat...

This is the video i stumbled across and decided to give it a go:

|

all this guy does is marinade it overnight and put it infront of a fan for 24 hours, nothing else.

I did mine in the oven for 6 hours as I didnt want a room smelling like meat, plus there are heaps of recipies out there that use the oven, you just put it on really low with the fan going (prop the oven door open) so that the air circulates around the jerkey

I bought corned beef (as i wanted to give a cheap cut a go in case i fucked it up) thing to note is corned beef all ready has salt in it so my batch turned out salty as fuck, also i think i had either the cuts too thick or the oven was too hot (if the oven is too hot the jerkey forms a crust which stops further water getting out)

Either way the thick cuts are fine, im going to smash the whole batch in a few days so it doesn't really matter.

Apparently you can do this with any meat, I have seen some videos where people use mince meat (gross)

Next time im going to get another cheap cut of meat (probably not the corned beef in a bag style), use less soy in the marinade (maby try abit of vinegar or something) and try the oven lower with the door wide open and then point a fan at it.

might even give the 24 hour fan action a go and then nuke it in the oven for 10 mins at the end

theres heaps of videos out there, this guys one is good too: (this guy uses really thin sliced beef and it turns out looking more traditonal than the other recipe above)

FemalenoobAATR and NOOTNOOTMOFO like this.
  4. Ripper Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
    No, just No.

EDIT: Make sure you at least cook it to 63c and refrigerate it if there's ANY moisture left in it.

Source: I know meat ;)
    JCG69 likes this.
  5. Troutslap Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
    Ripper thats why i nuked it at the end at 110degrees for 10 mins as I was a bit suss. apparently with no moisture theres no bacteria and its fine but my stuff was still tender.

if you put it in a jar or bag and there is condensation / moisture on the inside then your meat is too wet, the bag of mine had a bit of moisture this afternoon so im going to bin it tonight, smashed most of it since yesterday anyway.

Also if you put it in the fridge it will get wet again..

Next time im going thinner cuts and will try to get it super dry, your meant to be able to bend the meat and have it crack and then its properly dry.
  6. krack3r Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
    haha that guy in the first video looks like a walking christmas edition connect 4 board
  7. FemalenoobAATR Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
    Thank you Trout :) Looks fun to try.
  8. Ripper Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
    I've made jerky, biltong, ham, bacon etc as part of my career and there's no way I would try any of it at home without a food dehydrator (you can pick up a cheap one for <$50.) and a seasoning that contains sodium nitrate. Something like this will sort you until you're sick of making it. If you want to go pro, buy yourself a cheap smoker to finish it off in.

The guy in the video was using the wrong cut of meat too. Silverside has a shit texture for jerky and any intramuscular fat like he has in the video will make it chewy as fuck. Not to mention that fat will go rancid long before the meat does. You want thin sliced denuded topside , ask a butcher for beef schnitzel meat for jerky (<$15kg)

Bacteria need moisture and warmth to grow, if you get it hot enough to kill the bacteria and remove all of the moisture you're good.

Here's a handy thing to look at if you're gonna fuck about with dried/cured meats..

EDIT: Sorry for the rant but food safety is my jam. At least I'm not trying to convince someone that medium-rare chicken isn't cool this time. :confused:

[IMG]
  9. Troutslap Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
  10. JCG69 Juggernaut Member

Message Count:

But Medium rare chicken is the best. I just finished my chicken dinner.
    Sen7ryGun and Ripper like this.
  11. Troutslap Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
    Thanks ripper, im going to get some of that mix stuff you linked and give it another try in the oven (also using a better cut of meat)

If that doesnt work ill look to get a dehydrator.
  12. FlutterRage1818 Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
    Is there such thing as vegetarian jerkey?
  13. Troutslap Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
    Fruit Rollups?

Also this:
    [IMG]

-

Also round 2 of jerky is happening tonight, got actual jerkey flavour curing powder shit and proper meat this time.
    JCG69, FlutterRage1818 and Ripper like this.
  14. Ripper Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
    [IMG]
    BeyondDakka, JCG69, AxisBond and 4 others like this.
  15. FemalenoobAATR Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
    [IMG]
    JCG69, FlutterRage1818 and AxisBond like this.
  16. Troutslap Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
    Jerkey round 2

Step 1 - talk to a butcher

MEAT
    [IMG]

24 hours later (now with the special jerkey curing shit so you dont get poisoned)
    [IMG]

made 3 racks, still had some in the fridge that im doing this morning
    [IMG]

I had already "sampled" a lot by this stage, for uh,, testing purposes
    [IMG]

This is from last night, i left it in the bowl with some wrap over it and its even dryer this morning, got the last tray in the oven now.
    [IMG]

Might still look to gettin a dehydrator as the oven method still makes it abit juicy but i think thats the style.
    FemalenoobAATR, Yevgeni and Ripper like this.
  17. Ripper Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
    Nice one bruv!
  18. Troutslap Juggernaut Member

Message Count:
    Jerkey round 3 - revenge of the jerk..

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]